The Teachers CAN Local Connect Zone forms part of the organisation’s overall mission to grow a network of young teachers and allies who are committed to ensuring that every child in South Africa receives a quality education. Local Connect Zones are spaces where young teachers and their allies see themselves as change agents, develop this identity and are part of a community of like-minded individuals.
The community is guided by the Teachers CAN vision, for young teachers to be seen as vital role players in influencing the education ecosystem, and the Teachers CAN manifesto, which outlines five core values that can enable young teachers to tap into their individual and collective agency. The manifesto states that teachers should be able to:
- Support learners to reach their potential in all aspects of their lives.
- Engage as equals and for equality in schools.
- Innovate and own school-wide teaching practices.
- Play an active role in school structures.
- Connect to a wider world of social change.
The Local Connect Zone gatherings help the community make meaning of the manifesto based on their context and serve as an activation space where they work together towards making each value come alive in their respective schools.