What is Teachers CAN?
Teachers CAN is a network that is led by young, transformative teachers – and taps into teacher motivation to enable children to reach their full potential.
Teachers CAN aims to build this network by:
- Connecting young teachers
- Elevating their role
- Amplifying their voices
Teachers CAN’s vision is to advocate for an environment where: Young teachers are valued as vital role players in influencing the education ecosystem
At the heart of our vision is the Teachers CAN Manifesto, which unites young teachers around five core values, namely that teachers are able to:
- Support learners to reach their potential in all aspects of their lives
- Engage as equals and for equality in schools
- Innovate and own school-wide teaching practices
- Play an active role in school structures
- Connect to a wider world of social change
What is the Teachers CAN Multiplier Programme?
The Teachers CAN Multiplier Programme forms part of the organisation’s overall mission to grow a network of young teachers and allies who are committed to ensuring that every child in South Africa receives a quality education. These are spaces where teachers and their allies see themselves as change agents, develop this identity and are part of a community of like-minded individuals. The community is guided by the Teachers CAN vision, for young teachers to be seen as vital role players in influencing the education ecosystem, and the Teachers CAN manifesto, which outlines five core values that can enable young teachers to tap into their individual and collective. Teachers CAN also recognises that teaching in South Africa can be an isolating practice. To counter this, we are forming multiple pathways for teachers to connect and be in community.
The Teachers CAN Multiplier Programme focuses on supporting 20 teachers, based anywhere in South Africa, and who are between the ages of 23 and 40 to be Lead Multipliers and build community around themselves.
The one-year programme will have the following components:
- Training – training Lead Multipliers to lead Local Connects in their communities that will happen during the March public school holidays.
- Reflections and Peer learning – online monthly gatherings for reflections and learning from fellow Lead Multipliers
- Mid-year and year-end Reflections – 2-days in person reflections to take place in July and October
- Network building – Lead Multipliers will have an opportunity to engage with the wider network through various platforms where they can put in to practise their learning and further embed their identity as key role players in the eco-system
All the components of the Multiplier Programme are aimed at helping young teachers develop a common identity rooted in professionalism, creativity and disruption of the status quo. The Multiplier Programme seeks to provide Lead Multipliers with a stimulating and nurturing environment rooted in the belief that each one of them has the potential to make a difference in the education system.
Applications open: 8 January 2024
Applications close: 31 January 2024
- Between the ages of 23 – 40
- Currently teaching in a South African school
- Holds a teaching qualification
- Proven potential to become a change agent
- A community builder with a community of 5-15 teachers and allies to journey with
- Demonstrated desire to bring positive change in the South African schooling system
A Teachers CAN Lead Multiplier have the ability to work collaboratively within a diverse group and respecting the views and opinions of others; they are life-long learners who are passionate about growing in their profession and they are committed to playing an influential role in the broader eco-system.